Donaghadee Methodist Buildings
Robert McCready looks after the church buildings as a voluntary service.
Leonard Kirk and Matty Taylor look after the audio-visuals
The Methodist Society in Donaghadee formed in about 1791. The first Meeting House was built on the present site in 1813. It was replaced in 1849, when a School (now the Wesley Hall) was added. In 1909 the church was extensively reconfigured and the tower and cupola were added. It is a Grade 2 listed building.
You can find out more about the history of the church from the book “A church for all weathers”, which was published to mark the church’s bicentenary.
Plans for the future
The church has submitted a planning application to demolish the Wesley Hall and the buildings behind it and replace it with a new purpose-built hall and meeting rooms which will be more suitable for modern needs. The opportunity will also be taken to improve disabled access to the church both at ground floor and at gallery level with the help of a lift. There will be a new entrance to the church from the car park at the rear.
This is an ambitious plan, which will stretch the church’s resources, but the Church Council regards it as essential if the church is to be fit for the future. At present the planning authorities are still reflecting on what if any changes to the Wesley Hall façade on Moat Street they could permit.